Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Using the GAME Plan Process with Students

After using the GAME plan to help accomplish my own NETS-T goals and researching the NETS-S, I can see how beneficial using the GAME model would be with my own students. Within both the student and teacher NETS, is the goal of using technology for creativity and innovation. This was one of my own goals for this assignment and I think this would be an appropriate goal for my students to work with and create a GAME plan for.
In the Art classroom, there are a variety of technologies that help students be more creative and to develop critical thinking, from graphics programs to digital storytelling. VoiceThread is a educational tool I am beginning to very comfortable using and would love my 3rd grade students to create their own VoiceThread post about their artwork. For years I have do a "create your own superhero" drawing assignment. This would be a perfect lesson to incorporate VoiceThread and a GAME plan. It might look something like this:
GOAL
To create new superhero. Post drawing and narrative on VoiceThread
ACTION
Create a graphic organizer with Kidspiration to develop details of superhero (what does the outfit look like, super powers, name, arch nemisis, environment, etc)
Create drawing of superhero.
Photograph artwork, upload to VoiceThread and record narrative about artwork
MONITOR
Does my final drawing of my superhero show all the details. Have I done a complete drawing? Have I created a narrative that tells my audience about my superhero?
EVALUATE
Is my superhero original? Does my artwork show my best effort? Have I reviewed and commented my classmates artwork on VoiceThread?

The GAME plan model is a great way to keep students not only on task but motivated to accomplish their goals.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kristina,

    I love your superhero idea. In fact, superheros is the first activity I do with my students every year. In naming the hero they need to use the first letter of their name to name their hero (e.g. Magic Mike). That helps me to remember their names easily. Another aspects for me is to see their character and their aspirations.
    As far as GAME is concerned, as you stated at the end of your post, it is great for both motivating and guiding students through the process. Kind of an advanced check list as it has both the things and the steps one needs to accomplish to reach the goal.

    Regards,

    Arsen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristina,
    I like the superhero idea; your students will have a blast completing this project. Somebody in our class (can't remember who) suggested a website called Monster Exchange. Students create a monster and write a description of their creation. Here is the website http://www.monsterexchange.org/index.asp

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristina,
    I love your idea! It is important for us to utilize what we learn from our courses. Having the students to develop their own GAME plan shows that you are implementing new ideas into your classroom. Your students are going to love creating the superhero through technology!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelley- Thanks for the link! Maybe I'll add my superhero idea to the global project registry.

    ReplyDelete